All I've ever wanted is to make a difference in someone's life.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Proud Day

Allow me to gloat a bit, because I'm sooo proud.
When I earned my Masters Degree from Pepperdine University last year, with a 3.97 GPA, while working Full Time, I was very proud.
My sister and her hubby were scheduled to fly out from Cleveland for the ceremony, and I was ELATED.
So, when Ray and I went to pick them up from the airport, and I walked into LAX, I expected to see them.
However, I instead heard a faint voice from behind calling my name. OMG - it was my MOM.
She was not supposed to be there. Evidentaly, instead of my brother-in-law flying out, they decided to fly my Mommy out. It was one of the best surprises of my life.

At the ceremony, I almost broke down twice (crying) in the processional line.
It was one of the proudest days of my life, as I had succeeded in accomplishing one of my life's biggest goals.
So I graduated, and walked the line. The line across the stage. The line into an upper echelon of education. The line, and one step further towards my dream. My dream of attaining my Ph.D. - Of becoming a Doctor.

I will digress a bit here . . . when I was a senior in high school, I decided to major in Psych. Everyone told me that the only way to make good money in the field would be to get my Ph.D. I became determined at that point to make this my Ultimate goal. I remember when I went on the campus visit to Akron U (where I eventually earned my Bachelors Degree), my mom jokingly told my Dad that he would be calling me Dr. one day. We all giggled gleefully at the prospect of it all. . . .

Several years later.....I'm walking the line. I'm one step closer to my goal. I'm running towards my mom, diploma in hand, near tears. Imagining my Dad smiling down on me. Beaming with pride.
Do you ever have those moments in life when you feel true joy? The kind of joy that brings back memories of childhood and Christmas? That day, I felt joy. I felt proud. I felt invincible.

So, in my quest to earn my Ph.D., I am applying to several programs. And, I am required to go back to my professors from my Masters program and solicit recommendations. I was pleasantly surprised by this letter:

January 17, 2007

RE: Letter of Recommendation for Tina Terebeckij

To whom it may concern:

Tina Terebeckij was a student in my Principles and Theories of Learning course (PSY659) at Pepperdine University from January of 2005 to April 14, 2005. She demonstrated exceptionally high levels of commitment to mastering the content of the course. Her class rank was number two out of 20 students.

Tina was a class leader. She worked hand-in-hand with her classmates on group projects, in-class discussions, and in her presentations. Her passion for supporting other people’s growth was clearly and consistently displayed in the time she was my student. When Tina asked me to write a letter on her behalf, I was delighted for the opportunity to support her goals, because I see what is in this talented young woman. She has the emotional and intellectual maturity and academic talent to be successful in a doctoral program of study at your University.

I would be most pleased to personally talk with you in more detail about other qualifications of Tina Terebeckij. Please contact me at....

Sincerely,

Jack L. Housden, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Education and Psychology
Pepperdine University, Orange County Learning Center, Irvine, CA

14 comments:

smokkee said...

i'm very proud of you baby.

AlCantHang said...

Congrats! That's fantastic.

Good luck with the next step.

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff.
Now do what it takes to get into the program at UNLV!

Fuel55 said...

It is pretty obvious that you "want" this one. Do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Regards,

Dr. Fuel

PS What is a young lady who is so obviously brilliant doing with a neanderthal like Smokkee?

katitude said...

Tina that is amazing! YOU are amazing!

Now stop it, you're making the rest of us (well, me) feel inadequate *grin.

CarmenSinCity said...

That's such a nice letter!!!!! You deserve every nice thing he said about you. Your an awesome girl and I'm happy that we are friends :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats ! Next stop...UNLV right ?

Thanks for playing in The Mookie.

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Congrats, Tina!

My sister has a PhD and she is known as the only REAL doctor in a house full of MDs.

Thinking great thoughts for you and the smokestack (neanderthal though he may well be...)

surflexus said...

Elf!!!!!!
That's fantastic!! Congrats

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!!!! I ALWAYS knew you were smart.

Really.

I did.

Mondogarage said...

Congratulations! What would you like to focus on, in the Ph.D.? I ask because my wife, the Good Doctor Mondo, is in MFT, which is a bit sorta kinda close. (Um, and UNLV has an MFT program, too...)

Anyway, just know that as proud a day as your Master's walk was, that won't even begin to compare to what you and smokkee will feel a few years down the line when you get to walk again...

Mondogarage said...

Congratulations! What would you like to focus on, in the Ph.D.? I ask because my wife, the Good Doctor Mondo, is in MFT, which is a bit sorta kinda close. (Um, and UNLV has an MFT program, too...)

Anyway, just know that as proud a day as your Master's walk was, that won't even begin to compare to what you and smokkee will feel a few years down the line when you get to walk again...

Mondogarage said...

Congratulations! What would you like to focus on, in the Ph.D.? I ask because my wife, the Good Doctor Mondo, is in MFT, which is a bit sorta kinda close. (Um, and UNLV has an MFT program, too...)

Anyway, just know that as proud a day as your Master's walk was, that won't even begin to compare to what you and smokkee will feel a few years down the line when you get to walk again...

Mondogarage said...

Congratulations! What would you like to focus on, in the Ph.D.? I ask because my wife, the Good Doctor Mondo, is in MFT, which is a bit sorta kinda close. (Um, and UNLV has an MFT program, too...)

Anyway, just know that as proud a day as your Master's walk was, that won't even begin to compare to what you and smokkee will feel a few years down the line when you get to walk again...